The Economic Impact of Wilmington College in Clinton County
Wilmington College is a liberal arts college with a primary campus located in Clinton County, Ohio. Wilmington College brings visibility to the local community through attracting students and visitors from outside the area, and contributes to the economic vitality of the County. To assist Wilmington College in characterizing and communicating its contribution to the local economy the Economics Center conducted an economic impact analysis, estimating the economic activity, employment and earnings generated within Clinton County that are attributable to the College.
- Wilmington College had a total economic impact of $29.8 million within Clinton County in Fiscal Year 2010.
- Wilmington College accounted for 583 jobs within Clinton County and more than $14 million in household earnings.
- A significant portion of Wilmington College’s economic impact is due to bringing new money to the area as 84.6 percent of students are from outside Clinton County. This new money accounts for $24.4 million of the total economic impact.
- Employment at Wilmington College has been relatively resilient during the recession, decreasing at one-third the rate of the County overall from 2006 to 2010.
- The importance of Wilmington College for the Clinton County economy has increased since the departure of DHL and during the economic recession, as the College’s share of County employment has increased from 2006 to 2010.